Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy Fat Tuesday!

I made King Cake last night. It is by far the best recipe I have come across for it. I will post photos and the recipe later, mostly because it seems like a lot of work right now to upload the photos and post them. But I will not fail. Also, when I googled "Fat Tuesday" this is one of the first images I got. It is so fantastic. I might try to do this with my cats. Anyhoo......

I love New Orleans. I love Mardi Gras, I love Fat Tuesday. I get more excited about today than most other holidays. I am making jambalaya for dinner and we're eating left-over King Cake and sipping on cocktails tonight. If you have never been to New Orleans, GO. We went to New Orleans 3 weeks before Katrina hit for our honeymoon. When Katrina hit, the hubby and I were glued to the screen in tears. We had spent 2 weeks in New Orleans and made so many great friends that we still talk to. I remember frantically emailing/texting/calling to make sure they were all okay (they were.) I remember signing up for every possible volunteer program I could to go down there and help. It was a horrifying event, and New Orleans really is still recovering from it. We try to go every year, but we don't always make it. This year we are going again because we haven't been in two years and I cannot wait. I think we're going during Southern Decadence, because dear lord it is fantastic. If you don't know what Southern Decadence is, look it up. Hands down the best time we ever had in New Orleans.

So anyone that has never been to New Orleans, it is a fantastic, warm, loving city with a fantastic atmosphere. Oh, and good food. Really, really, really good food. And so for Lent you can go and help out the people of New Orleans by spending money and helping their city come back, instead of giving something up. Because Lent really should be more about giving things, than taking them away. And where better to do it than New Orleans? And today, all the images that the news is showing of Mardi Gras going on just makes me sigh and dream of New Orleans. And really crave crawfish. And beignets. Be bad today! And go to New Orleans!

No comments:

Post a Comment