Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Chocolate cake + Bailey's = Best Christmas ever

Chocolate cake can be a mood-lifter. It can give you a moment of great pleasure and happiness. It can also be dry, and bland. I have made a lot of chocolate cake over the years. I started baking when I was about 11, because my mother absolutely hated to bake and it was the only way that myself or my sister got to eat baked goods - if I made them. The very first thing I ever baked completely on my own was from a box. Chocolate cake. Since then, I never, NEVER make any cake, cookie, muffin or anything from a box. Because here's the thing people: it's not that hard. Basically, the cake box just contains all the dry ingredients pre-mixed. Plus a million preservatives and other crap that has a lot of chemical names I cannot say. And they never taste as good as made from scratch. So since it's not that much harder, and maybe 5 minutes more work, I beg you to please make this cake - without a box. Everyone you feed it to will love you. I get asked for this recipe every time I make it. So here ya go:
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup strong brewed coffee (I have also used espresso, which just gives it a richer flavor)
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.. Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.(I'm a layer cake kinda girl, but a 9x13 inch pan works, and also this can be used for cupcakes, I've done that a lot too)
    • Just a side tip: If you can, line the bottom of your cake pans with a circle of parchment paper, it makes removing the cake from the pans soooooo much easier, it will make your life better)
  2. In large bowl (or if you are as obsessed with your KitchenAid like me, you can use your mixer) combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center.
  3. Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla into the well in the center. Slowly incorporate and then beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Don't freak out if this batter is too thin, it should be!
  4. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Depending on your oven, this might take up to 50 minutes. 
  5. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and finish cooling on a wire rack. If you used parchment, you can remove the parchment now. 
  6. Once cake is completely cool (do not frost this cake warm, the frosting will melt), frost cake.
My fave frosting for this cake is a chocolate ganache because it makes it even richer. Just melt (in the microwave is fine, just do it for short times to make sure not to burn the chocolate) 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped with 1 cup of heavy whipping cream. For a little pizazz, add some rum. Pour over the cake and you're done. I have also been known to top this cake with cream cheese frosting and raspberries to make it even more festive. You really can't go wrong either way.
And last but definitely not least. When serving the cake, serve with coffee and Bailey's.  It's so amazing, it make Christmas that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment