Search This Blog

Monday, December 20, 2010

Sick. Right before Christmas. Fantastic!

Family law clients are out of their damned minds. Okay, moving on.

So I am sick. It's so fantastic being sick right before Christmas. Apparently my body is not aware that I do NOT have time to be sick right now. I have to make cookies. And cakes. And french onion soup. Ugh. I'm going to drug myself up in the hopes that it will make me at least half functional. If I stand long enough to work my Kitchenaid to make these just for today, I'll be happy. I'll try for more tomorrow. Anyway, ever since I was a kid my dad has made what he calls "Canela." Canela is basically the Spanish word for cinnamon. But this is basically a drink that my dad has made during Christmas since I was a wee little one, and it always makes me feel better. Now that I'm all sickly, I'm making it in the hopes that it will turn me into a human again.

Take about 4-5 cinnamon sticks, and place in about 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil the cinnamon in water for about an hour. Check the Canela every 15-20 minutes and when you start to see the water reducing, add more water. This will basically make a dark, strong cinnamon water. Add sugar and allow it to melt. I usually put in about a 1/2 cup, but you can add more or less to make it more or less sweet. Once sugar is melted, remove from heat. Remove cinnamon sticks. Pour cinnamon concentrate into a pitcher. Add about 2-3 more cups of water to dilute the concentrated mixture. Refrigerate.

This makes your house smell so amazing. And it is a totally home-y, holiday drink. I basically consider it my Christmas replacement for Sweet Tea. Now let's hope it gets me through this damned sickness!

No comments:

Post a Comment