Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cooking block

You've heard of writer's block? I am currently having cooking block. Ugh, it's so frustrating, especially when I'm trying to figure out what the hell to make for dinner. I am one of those annoying individuals who usually can walk into anyone's kitchen, look through their pantry and refrigerator, and whip up something delicious. Well, maybe not at some boy college dorm apartment, I'm not a magician. And despite having lots of essentials (and even non-essentials) and various ingredients in my kitchen, I am not coming up with anything new and exciting that I actually want to cook. Sigh. So if you've noticed that I haven't had many recipes up in the last few posts, that is why. I absolutely love to cook. But lately, I'm all, "eh, I don't feel like that." Part of it may be that there have been a lot of "events' at my place lately - SuperBowl, Golden Globes, Grammys and soon the Oscars - so I think I'm just burnt out on cooking. Which I never thought would happen.

Then again, I've been working on spending less at the grocery store so that we can save up even more for our impending house purchase next year (with a real backyard! And deck! And master suite! And fireplace!) and since the houses I want require a little more $$, I'm trying to save on groceries. It also has the added benefit of making me slightly skinnier. So that's probably not helping. But even with cheaper things and less ingredients, I'm hoping to come up with wonderful, amazing foods.

So all in all, I need to be re-inspired. Spring needs to come to Chicago. Yesterday it was 50-something, and I was driving around from courthouse to courthouse with my window down. I was irrationally happy all day just because of the warm weather. Maybe being able to cook outdoors and have spring and summer cocktails will re-invigorate my love of coming up with new, fresh dishes. Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment