Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Junk Food Redux - Chili

So obviously I have not posted my Game Day recipes. There was a bit of a family emergency over here that lasted the last few days, so I didn't even really watch the game. Luckily, everyone is going to be fine, and it's all been resolved but it was a stressful few days. And therefore rather than cooking and hosting, I've basically spent my days eating junk food and whatever the easiest fast food place I could find. And now I feel totally gross.

So because my husband loves me, and knows I've been running around like a crazy woman and am too exhausted to cook, he made me his special chili. It's probably a standard chili recipe, but it's a recipe my husband makes all on his own and it is delicious. And we always have leftovers and use it for chili dogs, nachos etc. later in the week. And I love him for doing it. Here is his recipe!

  • 2 pounds lean ground beef (or ground turkey is really good too)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  •  2 large bell pepper, minced (I like doing one red and one green)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2(15 ounce) cans kidney beans
  • 2(15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
  • 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 can of tomato paste
  • 3 jalapeno peppers, minced (optional, it's already hot without this, so you can keep it out)
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  •  1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. Cook beef, onion, and bell pepper in a large pot over medium heat until the beef is brown and onion and pepper are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain grease from beef. 
  2. Stir in minced garlic and saute for about 1-2 minutes, just until fragrant, add tomato paste and mix paste in.
  3. Stir in beans, tomatoes, jalapenos (if using), chili powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and salt. Bring mixture to a slow boil; cover and reduce heat. Simmer chili at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally so that it does not stick. If you see that the chili is starting to get too thick, add water 1/4 cup at a time.
  4. When chili reaches the consistency you want, TASTE IT. Add salt/pepper/chili powder until you get the flavor and heat you want.
  5. Top with chopped onions, shredded cheese and enjoy!
Here's to a quieter weekend this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment